Lamberts Castle Riding Club was founded in the early 1960's by Mary Robertson, Beryl Wells and Pam Lowis. (Mary and her daughter Anne are still members today.) The nearest club at that time was the South Western Dressage Group and the Taunton Riding Club was started a few years later. Bar Briscoe, Molly Crawford and Molly Nott Bower were just some of the early members.
Lamberts Castle Riding Club begun because Pam Lowis wanted to compete at the Powderham one day event and, in order to compete, you had to be a riding club member and Lamberts Castle was formed. In the early days, they held weekly dressage sessions on Lamberts Castle - the Iron Age hill fort owned by the National Trust. Major Scrimger, retired from the army, taught at these sessions. Pam on her horse Halfpence went on to train with Bertie Hill and competed at Burghley.
The 1960's saw Peggy Dodd Martim teaching the members at the weekly sessions, still held on Lamberts Castle. They did very well at Prix Caprilli and went to the national finals.
In the 1970's Mary Robertson riding Reveille represented the club and came 5th at the eventing championships. During this time, Major Peter Rawlings from School House Farm in the Blackdowns held many shows and jumping competitions, he built a cross country course for the members to use and train at. Major Rawlings instructed the members and Christine Derryman rode and produced many of his ex racehorses in the club teams.
Lamberts Castle Riding Club covered a huge area, and since the 1970's many of our neighbouring clubs have been formed. Today the club has a membership of between 50 -60, holding many events and training sessions for the club members. We still enjoy holding events at Lamberts Castle, not on the Iron Age hill fort but in the field owned by Bar Briscoe, one of the original members back in the 1950's.